Google provides a free, easy to use application called Google Sketchup. This tool allows you to design everything you want in 3D, through an intuitive interface, and offers free 3D models for download.
- Wings 3D is another free 3D application; the website has a forum, which is very useful to find answers to all your questions.
- Blender is available for free, but targets a more experienced audience.
- Newcomer Sculptris works like you are sculpting directly from clay.
- Make Human is a free specialized in human body 3D designs and lets you play with all body and face details. Amazing!
(versions compatible with the site for 3D printing: "Nightly Build" or v. 0.9.1).
- GLC Player is a free application which allows you to easily view 3D models. It’s lighter than regular modelling software so comes in handy when you just need to quickly check a 3D model before uploading it to sculpteo.com (are the materials properly linked to the model ? Are the textures in the right place? Has the model changed before and after the export?). GLC Player also lets you categorize 3D models into albums (like you would with a photo album).